Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Birth of a Cardboard Caveman


Hello, my name is David and this is my story.


In high school a friend gave me a book to read that sounded pretty cool. After reading the first page I knew my life would be very different. Tom Brown, Jr. was the author and the book was " The Way of the Scout." I tried talking to my parents about letting me take his first class. They said it was a waste of time and money and that I should go to college so I could make something of my life. I knew that without their support it would take me longer to raise the money but I was determined to make it to his first class. I finally went spring of 2006! That week changed my whole point of view and lots of my priorities for my life. Yet I was left feeling frustrated because I didn't know when I would be able to save up enough money to go back to the school. Wanting to learn to live off the land and yet being forced to have a job and everything that goes with that was making my mind and soul hurt sometimes. Something has to change!

This fall I decided that I was tired of throwing my money away in rent, Internet, and all the other little things that come with an apartment. I had learned to make a shelter in class and in books, so what was holding me back? I took a look around, looking for a place that looked so out of the way that no one would want to even walk close to my shelter area. I finally found a place and started planning and building my new home. I am very happy to say that in Jan. 2007 I moved out of my apartment and into my shelter.


This blog will hopefully serve multiple purposes. I want to share my story as it unfolds before me. I also am planning on sharing ideas and strategies in survival in generally and how to adapt these principles for the suburban landscape.

I invite everyone to join me in this journey. Please ask questions so I know who is out there listening.

6 comments:

Beware of Shady Businesses said...

I think its cool that you are not materialistic. Valuing the small things in life is important...now if only everyone else would understand...scratches head?

Anonymous said...

I hope that i get to hear more on your journey, good luck.

Anonymous said...

We love you, Dave and think it's really awesome what you're doing. Please be careful, ok? And, you know you're always welcome on our Back 40 :-)

~Kev & Carrie

Anonymous said...

Dave, We are just so proud of you. It takes courage to do what you are doing and glad your heart is happier. We applaud your resourcefullness and originality and the ablity to live off the land.
We love you so much,
Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

We very much admire your passion for the outdoors! We truly enjoy your company & hope you continue to share your experiences with us...

Thank you for your profound friendship and sharing your life & passions with us!!!

Love & Hugs... Mike & Cheri

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by REWILD.info, Dave. I look forward to keeping up with your blog. The field guide at REWILD is totally open source, so if you want to turn some of your experiences into an article that others can learn from and build on, that would rock. Also, feel free to drop by the forums at REWILD.

By the way, the title of "Cardboard Caveman" is awesome!