Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Birth of a Cardboard Caveman


Hello, my name is David and this is my story.


In high school a friend gave me a book to read that sounded pretty cool. After reading the first page I knew my life would be very different. Tom Brown, Jr. was the author and the book was " The Way of the Scout." I tried talking to my parents about letting me take his first class. They said it was a waste of time and money and that I should go to college so I could make something of my life. I knew that without their support it would take me longer to raise the money but I was determined to make it to his first class. I finally went spring of 2006! That week changed my whole point of view and lots of my priorities for my life. Yet I was left feeling frustrated because I didn't know when I would be able to save up enough money to go back to the school. Wanting to learn to live off the land and yet being forced to have a job and everything that goes with that was making my mind and soul hurt sometimes. Something has to change!

This fall I decided that I was tired of throwing my money away in rent, Internet, and all the other little things that come with an apartment. I had learned to make a shelter in class and in books, so what was holding me back? I took a look around, looking for a place that looked so out of the way that no one would want to even walk close to my shelter area. I finally found a place and started planning and building my new home. I am very happy to say that in Jan. 2007 I moved out of my apartment and into my shelter.


This blog will hopefully serve multiple purposes. I want to share my story as it unfolds before me. I also am planning on sharing ideas and strategies in survival in generally and how to adapt these principles for the suburban landscape.

I invite everyone to join me in this journey. Please ask questions so I know who is out there listening.
Post a Comment